Each year, Harbus Foundation teams research and invite 30-40 nonprofit organizations to apply for funding (typically $10,000 grants). Winners and semi-finalists will also be referred to the Board Fellows & Social Enterprise Consulting club and receive special consideration when the club selects organizations for free consulting services.
Students serving on Foundation teams have a great degree of autonomy of over the selection and evaluation criteria used to determine grantees. However, all Harbus Foundation recipients must meet a few essential criteria:
- promote initiatives related to education, literacy and journalism
- serve residents of the Boston metropolitan area
- pursue a meaningful and creative approach to social change
- possess a passionate, committed leadership team
- demonstrate a strong record of (or potential for) positive impact